(This page contains affiliate links. When you click on them, your shopping experience is the same, but I receive a small commission. My opinions are entirely my own. Thank you!)
These resources, like this blog, are dedicated to helping you with:
- Considering Catholicism
- A conversion process, your own or a loved one
- Learning more about the Catholic faith or deepening your faith
- Establishing a keep-it-simple Catholic household
- Catholic homeschooling or thinking about homeschooling your Catholic family.
- Large family living
This list is continually updated. If you have a resource that you love, I’d be delighted to hear about it – please share! Leave a comment or reach out on social media.
- Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism by Scott and Kimberly Hahn. I loved reading the story of their journey from both Scott and Kimberly’s point of view.
- Surprised By Truth: 11 Converts Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons for Becoming Catholic – Patrick Madrid. These books are wonderful compilations of conversion stories from many walks of life.
- Surprised by Truth 2: 15 Men and Women Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons For Becoming Catholic. (v. 2) – Patrick Madrid
- Surprised by Truth 3: 10 More Converts Explain the Biblical and Historical Reasons for Becoming Catholic (v. 3) – Patrick Madrid
- Journeys Home – Marcus Grodi
- The Thing: Why I Am a Catholic – G.K. Chesterton
- Crossing the Tiber: Evangelical Protestants Discover the Historical Church – Steve Ray. Theologically in-depth account of the Ray’s conversion from the Baptist tradition.
- Catholic Education: Homeward Bound – Useful Guide to Catholic Home Schooling – Kimberly Hahn and Mary Hassen
- Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum: A Guide to Catholic Home Education – Laura M. Berquist
- Catholic Homeschool Companion – Maureen Wittmann
- Catholic Homeschool Treasury: Nurturing Children’s Love for Learning – Rachel Mackson and Maureen Wittmann
- Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith – Robert Barron
- Catechism of the Catholic Church: Complete and Updated
- Early Christian Doctrines: Revised Edition
- Documents Illustrating Papal Authority: AD 96-454 – E. Giles (This can also be found as a free ebook here.)
- The Catholic Controversy – St. Francis de Sales’ Defense of the Faith. Mark and I read this together. A compilation of letters/pamphlets written by St. Francis de Sales to bring home the French Calvinists, it makes a compelling read if you are, or once were, connected to the Reformed tradition.
- Catholicism for Dummies, by Rev. John Trigilio, Jr.. It’s a perfect starting-from-nowhere introduction.
- The Fathers Know Best – Your Essential Guide to the Teachings of the Early Church – Jimmy Akin
- The Protestant’s Dilemma: How the Reformation’s Shocking Consequences Point to the Truth of Catholicism – Devin Rose
- Upon This Rock: St. Peter and the Primacy of Rome in Scripture and the Early Church (Modern Apologetics Library) – Stephen K. Ray
- His Broken Body: Understanding and Healing the Schism between the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches (Written from an Eastern Orthodox perspective.)
- The Early Papacy: To the Synod of Chalcedon in 451
- Russia and the Universal Church (pdf), by Vladimir Soloviev
- Hail Holy Queen – Scott Hahn. This is a wonderful Protestant’s intro to Mary.
- Behold Your Mother – A Biblical and Historical Defense of the Marian Doctrines – Tim Staples. More technical than Hail Holy Queen.
- Mary and the Fathers of the Church: The Blessed Virgin Mary in Patristic Thought – Luigi S. M. Gambero
- Refuting the Attack on Mary: A Defense of Marian Doctrines – Fr. Mateo
- 20 Answers- Mary (20 Answers Series from Catholic Answers Book 13) – Catholic Answers Press
- Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux, Third Edition, translated by John Clark, O.C.D. This is such a personable and charming book. It’s no wonder St. Therese of Lisieux is such a famous saint, her humility, wisdom, and wit are a wonderful combination.
- The King’s Good Servant but God’s First : The Life and Writings of Saint Thomas More – James Monti
- The Ordinary Path to Holiness by R. Thomas Richard. This is an absolute favorite of mine; unfortunately it goes in and out of availability on Amazon. I can’t recommend this book highly enough.
- Introduction to the Devout Life – St. Francis de Sales
Nuts and Bolts, or what is holy water, anyway??
- Signs of Life: 40 Catholic Customs and Their Biblical Roots – Scott Hahn
- A Handbook of Catholic Sacramentals – Ann Ball
- Why Do Catholics Do That?: A Guide to the Teachings and Practices of the Catholic Church – Kevin Orlin Johnson
- Catholicism for Dummies, by Rev. John Trigilio, Jr. (Yes, I put it twice. It fits in both categories!)
- Feast!: Real Food, Reflections, and Simple Living for the Christian Year – Daniel and Haley Stewart
- The Vatican Cookbook: Presented by the Pontifical Swiss Guard
- Twelve Months of Monastery Soups by Clarkson Potter. Perfect to expand your meatless repertoire!
- The Catholic Catalogue: A Field Guide to the Daily Acts That Make Up a Catholic Life – Melissa Musick and Anna Keating
- The Catholic Home: Celebrations and Traditions for Holidays, Feast Days, and Every Day – Meredith Gould
- The Little Oratory: A Beginner’s Guide to Praying in the Home – David Clayton
- Catholic Cuisine: Recipes for Celebrating the Feasts and Seasons of the Liturgical Year – a really lovely blog that publishes recipes and simple treats just in time to use them on the appropriate feast.
- Adventures in Assisi: On the Path with St. Francis – Amy Welborn and Ann Kissane Engelhart
- Loyola Kids Book of Saints – Amy Welborn
- Joan of Arc – Diane Stanley
- Dear Pope Francis: The Pope Answers Letters from Children Around the World – by Pope Francis. Actual copies of letters sent by children to Pope Francis, and his answers. A favorite with my kids.
- A Man for All Seasons (Special Edition) – a wonderful movie version of the classic play about St. Thomas More.
- Clare and Francis
- A Time for Miracles – St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, played by Kate Mulgrew aka Captain Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager.
- St. Teresa of Avila
- St. Patrick: The Irish Legend
- Restless Heart: The Confessions of Augustine
- Jesus of Nazareth
- The Chronicles of Narnia – BBC Version
- Called to Communion – focuses on Catholic dialogue with Protestants in the Reformed tradition.
- Catholic Answers
- Saint Anne’s Helper – Catholic catechism resources
Carrots for Michaelmas – Liturgy, homeschooling, and literature. A favorite of mine long before I ever imagined I’d ever be Catholic.
A Catholic Newbie – Tons of resources for the new Catholic.
Catholic All Year – Catholic family life and liturgical living.
JimmyAkin.com – If you are or were Reformed, or you have Reformed friends or family, or want some meaty answers to theological questions, go here. I spent hours on this blog when I was contemplating conversion, and they were hours well spent.
Sweeping Up Joy – Catholic faith and family life, and reflections on coping with a child with a serious illness.
Elizabeth Clare – Lovely Catholic blog by a fellow convert with a lot of homeschooling resources.
The Christian Freethinker – This is my hubby’s blog. He’s pretty awesome. Just saying.