(This page contains affiliate links. When you click on them, your shopping experience is the same, but I receive a small commission. My opinions are entirely my own. Thank you!)
These resources, like this blog, are dedicated to helping you with:
- Considering Catholicism
- A conversion process, your own or a loved one
- Learning more about the Catholic faith or deepening your faith
- Establishing a keep-it-simple Catholic household
- Catholic homeschooling or thinking about homeschooling your Catholic family.
- Large family living
This list is continually updated. If you have a resource that you love, I’d be delighted to hear about it – please share! Leave a comment or reach out on social media.
If you enjoy this list, you may also like the main blog. Check out my home page, or start with my conversion story. Looking for a gift, or items other than books? I also have a Gift Guide for Catholic Converts.
Glad you stopped by!
- Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism by Scott and Kimberly Hahn. I loved reading the story of their journey from both Scott and Kimberly’s point of view.
- Surprised By Truth: 11 Converts Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons for Becoming Catholic – Patrick Madrid. These books are wonderful compilations of conversion stories from many walks of life.
- Surprised by Truth 2: 15 Men and Women Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons For Becoming Catholic. (v. 2) – Patrick Madrid
- Surprised by Truth 3: 10 More Converts Explain the Biblical and Historical Reasons for Becoming Catholic (v. 3) – Patrick Madrid
- Journeys Home – Marcus Grodi
- The Thing: Why I Am a Catholic – G.K. Chesterton
- Crossing the Tiber: Evangelical Protestants Discover the Historical Church – Steve Ray. Theologically in-depth account of the Ray’s conversion from the Baptist tradition.
- Catholic Education: Homeward Bound – Useful Guide to Catholic Home Schooling – Kimberly Hahn and Mary Hassen
- Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum: A Guide to Catholic Home Education – Laura M. Berquist
- Catholic Homeschool Companion – Maureen Wittmann
- Catholic Homeschool Treasury: Nurturing Children’s Love for Learning – Rachel Mackson and Maureen Wittmann
- Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith – Robert Barron
- Catechism of the Catholic Church: Complete and Updated
- Early Christian Doctrines: Revised Edition
- Documents Illustrating Papal Authority: AD 96-454 – E. Giles (This can also be found as a free ebook here.)
- The Catholic Controversy – St. Francis de Sales’ Defense of the Faith. Mark and I read this together. A compilation of letters/pamphlets written by St. Francis de Sales to bring home the French Calvinists, it makes a compelling read if you are, or once were, connected to the Reformed tradition.
- Catholicism for Dummies, by Rev. John Trigilio, Jr.. It’s a perfect starting-from-nowhere introduction.
- The Fathers Know Best – Your Essential Guide to the Teachings of the Early Church – Jimmy Akin
- The Protestant’s Dilemma: How the Reformation’s Shocking Consequences Point to the Truth of Catholicism – Devin Rose
- Upon This Rock: St. Peter and the Primacy of Rome in Scripture and the Early Church (Modern Apologetics Library) – Stephen K. Ray
- His Broken Body: Understanding and Healing the Schism between the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches (Written from an Eastern Orthodox perspective.)
- The Early Papacy: To the Synod of Chalcedon in 451
- Russia and the Universal Church (pdf), by Vladimir Soloviev
- Hail Holy Queen – Scott Hahn. This is a wonderful Protestant’s intro to Mary.
- Behold Your Mother – A Biblical and Historical Defense of the Marian Doctrines – Tim Staples. More technical than Hail Holy Queen.
- Mary and the Fathers of the Church: The Blessed Virgin Mary in Patristic Thought – Luigi S. M. Gambero
- Refuting the Attack on Mary: A Defense of Marian Doctrines – Fr. Mateo
- 20 Answers- Mary (20 Answers Series from Catholic Answers Book 13) – Catholic Answers Press
- Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux, Third Edition, translated by John Clark, O.C.D. This is such a personable and charming book. It’s no wonder St. Therese of Lisieux is such a famous saint, her humility, wisdom, and wit are a wonderful combination.
- The King’s Good Servant but God’s First : The Life and Writings of Saint Thomas More – James Monti
- Life of St. Francis of Assisi – St Bonaventure
- The Lessons of St. Francis: How to Bring Simplicity and Spirituality into Your Daily Life – John Michael Talbot
- The Ordinary Path to Holiness by R. Thomas Richard. This is an absolute favorite of mine; unfortunately it goes in and out of availability on Amazon. I can’t recommend this book highly enough.
- Introduction to the Devout Life – St. Francis de Sales
Nuts and Bolts, or what is holy water, anyway??
- Signs of Life: 40 Catholic Customs and Their Biblical Roots – Scott Hahn
- A Handbook of Catholic Sacramentals – Ann Ball. This book was recommended in our RCIA class, and it’s an extremely useful guide to all those things Catholics do that are a little confusing at first.
- Why Do Catholics Do That?: A Guide to the Teachings and Practices of the Catholic Church – Kevin Orlin Johnson
- Catholicism for Dummies, by Rev. John Trigilio, Jr. (Yes, I put it twice. It fits in both categories!)
- Feast!: Real Food, Reflections, and Simple Living for the Christian Year – Daniel and Haley Stewart
- The Vatican Cookbook: Presented by the Pontifical Swiss Guard
- Twelve Months of Monastery Soups by Clarkson Potter. Perfect to expand your meatless repertoire!
- The Catholic Catalogue: A Field Guide to the Daily Acts That Make Up a Catholic Life – Melissa Musick and Anna Keating
- The Catholic Home: Celebrations and Traditions for Holidays, Feast Days, and Every Day – Meredith Gould
- The Little Oratory: A Beginner’s Guide to Praying in the Home – David Clayton
- Catholic Cuisine: Recipes for Celebrating the Feasts and Seasons of the Liturgical Year – a really lovely blog that publishes recipes and simple treats just in time to use them on the appropriate feast.
- Adventures in Assisi: On the Path with St. Francis – Amy Welborn and Ann Kissane Engelhart
- Loyola Kids Book of Saints – Amy Welborn
- Joan of Arc – Diane Stanley
- Dear Pope Francis: The Pope Answers Letters from Children Around the World – by Pope Francis. Actual copies of letters sent by children to Pope Francis, and his answers. A favorite with my kids.
- The Prayer of St. Francis – ill. by Guiliano Ferri. I haven’t seen this in person, but it looks like a beautiful rendition of the Peace Prayer for children.
- A Man for All Seasons (Special Edition) – a wonderful movie version of the classic play about St. Thomas More.
- Clare and Francis
- A Time for Miracles – St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, played by Kate Mulgrew aka Captain Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager.
- St. Teresa of Avila
- St. Patrick: The Irish Legend
- Restless Heart: The Confessions of Augustine
- Jesus of Nazareth
- The Chronicles of Narnia – BBC Version
- Called to Communion – focuses on Catholic dialogue with Protestants in the Reformed tradition.
- Catholic Answers
- Saint Anne’s Helper – Catholic catechism resources
Now That I’m Catholic – Thoughtful, clear writing from a recent convert.
Not So Formulaic – Catholic motherhood, homeschooling, gifted/twice exceptional parenting.
Reconciled to You – “Writes about her Catholic Faith and relationship with Jesus, which is sought through and lived out in the everyday, ordinary of life!”
Convert Journal – A treasure trove of resources, conversion stories, and other encouragement for converts.
Carrots for Michaelmas – Liturgy, homeschooling, and literature. A favorite of mine long before I ever imagined I’d ever be Catholic.
Prayer Wine Chocolate – Prayer journaling, Catholic fellowship, and blooming where you are planted.
FemCatholic – “Where feminism + Catholicism meet” – great stuff. Women’s issues are one of those things that usually have to be explored no matter where a convert is coming from.
The Joy Filled Catholic – A revert writing about the joy of the Catholic faith, and sharing resources that brought her back home.
La Joie Inattendue – Unexpected Joy – “An unlikely Catholic convert’s reflections on becoming a mother of 4 in less than 4 years.”
Cathlogic – A revert writing about the faith in the light of logic and reason.
Arma Dei – Equipping Catholic Families – Lots of great resources for learning to live the liturgical year.
Catholic All Year – Catholic family life and liturgical living.
JimmyAkin.com – If you are or were Reformed, or you have Reformed friends or family, or want some meaty answers to theological questions, go here. I spent hours on this blog when I was contemplating conversion, and they were hours well spent.
Sweeping Up Joy – Catholic faith and family life, and reflections on coping with a child with a serious illness.
Elizabeth Clare – Lovely Catholic blog by a fellow convert with a lot of homeschooling resources.
The Christian Freethinker – This is my hubby’s blog. He’s pretty awesome. Just saying.
A Catholic Newbie – Not recently updated, but still tons of resources for the new Catholic.